It was only a matter of time until the benefits of CBD moved on from humans to your beloved pets. It is now possible to share those same benefits with your dogs. The pet-friendly CBD dog treats are designed with your family pet in mind and are honed to serve their specific needs.
CBD Dog Treats are an awesome way to share the benefits with your pet. The legalization of CBD products and hemp has brought a rise in studies of the benefits CBD can have on animals.
The research has shown that the cannabinoids work with the nerve receptors found on vertebrate animals – i.e., dogs. It is known by many that dogs suffer similar symptoms and issues that humans experience, from pain to sleep issues, appetites and bowel movements, as well as issues with mood.
It has been proven by scientific research that humans and animals can both benefit from using CBD products. And now that we have the science to back up this information, it is time to discuss finding the right product for your beloved pet.
We have listed below the two-three brands currently trusted by many customers, and you will be surprised by the variety available out there right now. Once again, it is important to look out for key factors in filtering out the best brands. Like human CBD products, pet-based products are also becoming saturated with bogus companies.
Top 3 Best CBD Dog treats [Reviews]:
- Fab CBD – High-Quality and Editor’s Pick
- Holistapet – Best Value & Organic Products
- Joy Organics – Soft Chews For Puppies & Older Dogs
1. Fab CBD: High-Quality and Editor’s Pick
The Fab CBD Company has been around since 2017 with the mission to spread information on the benefits and healing nature of CBD products.
As advocates of CBD, it was inevitable that they would then turn to designed products for dogs. They used the same lever expertise, and passion for human-based products for their CBD Dog Treats range.
Fab CBD claims to source their ingredients from Colorado at a farm that guarantees no contamination and free from GMOs. These will certainly be a favorite, with a variety of flavors and crunchy texture that your dog will love. It is a dog treat that various uses and doesn’t contain any dairy, wheat, coconut, soy, or corn; and is also suitable for vegans, free of gluten, and suitable for dogs with all kinds of ailments.
It is sourced from organic hemp and is tested by third-party laboratories to maintain quality control of the products, ensuring that they are safe for consumption, effective, pure, and potent.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Fab CBD
Rate of Potency:
- It contains 3mg per treat.
- The packet is 150mg in weight (including 50 treats per pack)
- Chicken – perfect for an active immune system
- Putter Butter Apple – helps to keep your dog calm.
- Salmon – perfect for the dog’s coat and skin
Ingredients of each variety:
- Calm and Cool: it helps calm your pet and alleviate anxiety from the stress that could, in turn, make their immune system weaker. The main flavors are peanut butter and apple. It contains oats, apples, peanut butter, tapioca, passionflower, chamomile, coconut oil, and organic hemp products. (Contains no soy, wheat, or corn)
- Skin and Coat: it helps to improve your dog’s coat and skin. If your pet suffers from skin conditions, then this could help relieve them of the issue. Maybe you just want to keep their fur and skin healthy, and so this product could really help you with that issue. The main flavor of this variety is salmon. It contains the following ingredients: salmon, flaxseed, oats, tapioca, salmon oil, coconut oil, and of course, organic hemp products. (It contains no soy, corn, or wheat).
- Active Immune: this variety is good for keeping the immune system healthy and active; it enhances it to ward off any seasonal allergies, as well as an aid against inflammatory cases and pain relief. It is a good product to give your dog’s immune system a daily boost, which will fortify them in the long run. The main flavoring of this one is chicken. It contains the following ingredients: chicken, flaxseed, oat, tapioca, turmeric, milk thistle, coconut oil, and bone broth, as well as organic hemp products. (It doesn’t contain corn, soy, or wheat).
⇒ Click Here to learn more about the ingredients of Fab CBD
Source Location: The hemp is sourced from Colorado, USA.
The extract category: The extract is of a broad-spectrum blend.
External Labs: The company uses ProVerde Laboratories for third party testing.
- One pack of any variety will cost: $34 I which is approx. $0.23 per mg)
- A bundle offer of 3 packs (one of each variety) will cost $87 (which is approx. $0.19 per mg)
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Fab CBD for the Best Discount
2. Holistapet – Best Value & Organic Products
The HolistaPet range is guaranteed to be steeped in the highest quality of CBD, extracted as full-spectrum CBD oil. The company openly describes their hemp as sourced from Colorado, so it reassures the customers that they are buying from a brand that uses all-natural and organic hemp grown and harvested within regulations.
HolistaPet also uses other types of nutritious ingredients to work with the CBD content of their products, such as Boswellia, Turmeric, Flaxseed, and Hemp Seed powder. The company offers three varieties of Dog Treats and is curated for your dog’s specific needs.
They have treats that can take the joint pains and ability issues, or if your dog suffers from stress or anxiety issues, they have that available too. They also have a treat that can focus on improving your dog’s immune and heart. All are carefully designed, manufactured, and tested for your dog’s wellbeing.
The site also provides a piece of comprehensive dosage advice, but of course, it is not a one-fits-all guideline and will need to be adjusted specifically for your pet’s needs.
They also provide information about the external laboratory test and processes. And best of them value customer service and loyalty but offer free shipping on all orders and a money-back guarantee of 30 days.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Holistapet
Rate of Potency
- It contains 5mg of CBD per treat.
- The pack is 150mg in weight with 30 treats in each pack)
- Stress and Anxiety – the flavoring for this variety are apples and peanut butter.
- Joint and Mobility – the flavoring for this variety are cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
- Heart and Immune: The flavoring for this variety is sweet potato and blueberries.
Ingredients of each variety
- Stress and Anxiety variety contains chamomile, peanut butter, apple sauce, coconut oil, cinnamon, molasses, CBD oil, hemp seed powder, and brown rice flour.
- Joint and Mobility variety contains Boswellia, turmeric, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, cinnamon, molasses, brown rice flour, CBD oil, and hemp seed powder.
- Heart and Immune variety contain: flaxseed, blueberries, sweet potatoes, rolled oats, cinnamon, coconut oil, molasses, brown rice flour, CBD oil, and hemp seed powder.
⇒ Click Here to learn more about the ingredients of Holistapet
Source Location: The hemp is sourced from Colorado, USA.
The extract category: The extract is of a full-spectrum blend (but as it doesn’t contain any THC traces, it can be considered broad-spectrum).
External Labs: The company uses pH Solutions LLC for third party testing.
- One pack of any variety will cost $24.95 I which is approx. $0.16 per mg)
- A bundle offer of 3 packs (one of each variety) will cost $67.36 (which is approx. $0.15 per mg)
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Holistapet for the Best Discount
3. Joy Organics – Soft Chews For Puppies & Older Dogs
Joy Organics is based around the Colorado area and was established as a simple family-owned business. It is a young company, starting around 2018, but has already built a reputation for providing the highest quality products in a short space of time.
It has become one of the most well-known CBD Brands across the US, and they are famous for providing broad-spectrum products.
The company gained customer loyalty by offering products that are effective, safe, and clean at an affordable price. The dog treats available are of premium grade quality and use nanoemulsion to make CBD absorption easy for your dog’s systems – prevents any delay in the effects.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Joy Organics
Rate of potency
- Each treat contains 2mg of CBD.
- The treats are packaged in jars, which contain 30 treats.
Available flavors: Beef
Ingredients of The Treats:
- Water-Soluble Phytocannabinoid-Rich Hemp Extract Powder
- Sodium Alginate
- Beef Liver Powder
- Dried Brewer’s Yeast
- Gum Arabic
- Natural Bacon Flavor
- Flaxseed Oil
- Microcrystalline Cellulose
- Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Preservative)
- Dextrin (Corn Derived).
- Organic Sweet Potato Powder
- Sunflower Lecithin (Non-GMO)
- Citrus Pectin
- Vitamin E
- Sodium Propionate
⇒ Click Here to learn more about the ingredients of Joy Organics
Source Location: The hemp is sourced from Colorado, USA.
The extract category: The extract is of a broad-spectrum blend
The company uses:
- PhytaTech Metrics Solution
- Green™ Scientific Labs
- Aurum Labs
- Botanical Services
- PIXIES Labs
- One pack of any variety will cost: $34.95 (which is approx. $0.58 per mg)
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Joy Organics for the Best Discount
Factors Need To Consider Before Selecting The CBD Dog Treats:
The same with the CBD products marketed for people, it is important to find the best cbd treat for your dogs. This growing trend of CBD products for dogs has seen many brands jumping on the popularity wagon.
Therefore, it is vital to distill the brands down to the best and most trusted available. Here are the factors to consider when choosing the right product for your pet.
Organically sourced products are considered the best to buy. It means that the carrier oils and ingredients are all-natural, nothing harmful or toxic for your pets. You can be sure that your pet is consuming something that is healthy and safe.
The symptoms and issues experienced by your dog will impact the efficacy of the product you are using. Acute and chronic pains will require higher concentrations of CBD. However, some brands offer products for specific symptoms, as it will include another ingredient that will work with the CBD to alleviate the issue.
Potency and the ingredients are important and will resolve how well the product will work for your pet. Opting for all-natural products will allow you to take advantage of a more holistic approach to dealing with your pet’s ailments. Also, as mentioned above, look out for products that are designed for specific symptoms, as it may have a better reaction to your pet in the long run.
Choosing the right flavor that your dog will enjoy will ensure that your pet will take no issue in consuming it daily. There’s a wide variety of flavors available out there, and it’s just a process of trial and error until you settle on the best for your pet.
The location of where your hemp is sourced will be important. You must make sure that the brand you have chosen is open about this and that they are working with farmers and suppliers within the US or Europe. These areas have a better system of adhering to regulations making the product safe, potent, and pure. Many of the farmers in these locations work hard to ensure that hemp crops are not contaminated and are grown at optimum conditions.
External testing at third-party laboratories means that you can be sure that an impartial quality control check has been exercised on the product of your choice. Many brands will disclose this on their websites and often provide copies of the reports, so be sure to look for this when shopping. It shows that the company shows a level of accountability and transparency with their customers. If you are considering a brand but can’t locate any information on external lab reports, then I would advise you to steer clear of this brand.
Transparent manufacturing is one of the key things to look for if you want to make sure you are buying from a reputable source. Many brands will provide more information about their ingredients, manufacturing methods, and farming locations. This is a great way of distilling the best companies out there because this industry is a growing market, and you may find a few bogus brands that will be unsafe and unregulated. It shows that the company exercises accountability for the products they are selling and that they strive hard to earn their customers’ trust.
What Type Of CBD Treats Are Available For Your Dog?
The type of treatment you choose will depend on how it will be administered to your dog, and many companies offer simple and user-friendly products for your pet.
- The CBD oil tinctures are available to use for your dogs.
- The CBD oil can be added to food or water.
- CBD edibles are also available, like soft chews or harder treats.
- There are also CBD soft gels available, which can be added to their food.
- Topicals such as lotion, salves, or cream are available with CBD extracts in them. This is good for direct application to the affected areas of the dog’s body.
There are various forms to choose and the administration of these has its own positives and negatives.
- The tinctures can be given under your dog’s tongue and stay active for 7-8 hours; however, this method can often be more challenging, especially if you want to keep your dog still and obey.
- Putting the oil in their food or water is a good solution if you want to simplify the method. However, it can take a little longer to take effect because it will need to be digested before entering their bloodstream.
- The option of using softgel capsules in their food can also be a good method, so long as your dog is not fussy. However, it suffers from the same issues that the effects could be delayed during digestion.
- The creams and topicals are effective and work well, but only to the specific areas, it is applied on.
- Edible varieties of CBD chews and treats are perhaps the most convenient because most dogs love and enjoy them. It can take time to take effect, but it does the job nonetheless, without any hassle of fuss.
It must be obvious now that the preferred and most convenient product to choose for your dog are CBD treats.
The reason why it is favored by many customers is because of the unique formula and processing method used by many brands.
The manufacturing process can vary due to the following factors:
- Where the hemp is sourced
- What type of strain of hemp is used
- The method of extraction used by the company (CO2 or Lipid extraction)
- The type of extract they produce (i.e., broad or full spectrum)
- The ingredients that are used to work in conjunction with the CBD – dependent on the ailment.
- The processes and methods that go into manufacturing the products.
- The company ensures that the product is free from contaminants, even making sure that there are zero traces of THC.
- The company ensures that it carries our external laboratory testing for impartial quality control.
These factors will greatly affect the final product and will vary in these separate areas:
- The potency of the final product
- The amount of CBD concentration found in the item.
- The purity of the product
- The product of safe to consume – meaning all-natural, free from any contaminants or toxins.
- The efficacy of the product
These factors will mean that the formula of each brand will behave and react differently in your dog. So be careful to check all these when shopping for your CBD treats!
Another factor that greatly influences the customer’s purchasing decision is the price. The brands outlined in this article are all affordable, and some companies provide offers for good value. However, remember that the price is determined by what’s in the product, how it is made, and where it is sourced.
Here are some of the reasons why CBD Treats are considered better the CBD Oils
Remember that there are different methods of administering CBD to your dog – topical cream, soft gels, tinctures, and finally CBD treats.
It is widely believed that the CBD tinctures are faster and more effective in showing their benefits and the easier to control dosage with the oil dropper packaging.
However, the treats are still the most purchased item over the tinctures, and here’s why:
- Your dogs are more susceptible to tasty treats because the flavorings are delicious, and your dog will not kick up a fuss in taking it – unlike tinctures. There’s no need to force the dog to remain still and pry his mouth open to administer the treatment, like with the tincture option. It may be easier with smaller dogs, but it will still be the case of your dog being obedient and well-behaved.
- The doses in the CBD treats are measured more precisely than the dropper, which makes regulating the dosages better.
- There’s a wider variety of flavorings when it comes to the CBD treats, which your dog will go wild for! The treats will also include specific ingredients that will target ailments like anxiety issues.
- The treats are available for different purposes so that you can pick one specific for your dog’s needs, whether it is joint problems, boosting your dog’s immune system, or calming their anxieties – there are CBD Dog treats that will cater to all of these.
- It can be said the effects of the treats last longer than the tincture variety, which acts fast but wears off quickly.
Now there are some disadvantages to CBD treats, and here are the points to bear in mind when using CBD Treats:
- The treats will take a bit longer to take effect, unlike the tinctures. The CBD tinctures can take approximately twenty minutes for them to start taking full effect in your dog’s system, while the CBD treats can take around 40 minutes. Now, bear in mind these time calculations will vary depending on the ingredients, potency, and formulation of the treats you are using. Bear in mind that some acute pain and inflammations may be better relieved by using the tinctures over treats.
- If your dog is on other types of medication, it could mean that CBD might interrupt the medications’ activity. The CBD extract works with the CYP450 enzymes found in your dog’s liver, and most other types of medication interact with these enzymes in order for it to enter the dog’s bloodstream. Please note that lower doses of CBD may not affect the medications.
What Are The Advantages of Using CBD For Dogs?
Dogs also suffer from similar ailments as people, from physical pain to mental issues. It has been shown that dogs have a positive reaction to CBD.
There’s only a small number of findings so far done by scientific research, but there is evidence that shows CBD targeting cute symptoms on dogs:
We must bear in mind that a lot of the studies on the effects of CBD have been done mostly on rats and humans. However, this should not deter you from believing in its benefits for your pet because some studies have illustrated the positive effects of CBD used on dogs.
Now that you are better informed on what CBD Treats can do for your dogs, it is time to think about how effectively it can work for your dogs. This can be explored by the dosages that are administered. Much like CBD for humans, it isn’t a one-fits-all number, and you need to figure out how bad their ailment is and how much it will take to relieve them from their symptoms.
Are There Any Side-Effects of CBD Treats For Dogs?
You must bear in mind that similar to humans, adverse effects of CBD can manifest in your dogs too. There are some concerns with overdosing; however, it is a rare occurrence and does not cause enough negative effects. The concern lies mostly in the presence of THC in the products, which is the chemical that causes humans to feel high when smoking marijuana.
Now, with dogs, it does not cause the same enjoyment that humans experience; rather, it causes anxiety and a speedy heart rate. It could cause them to panic and stumble into solid objects and cause injury, and sometimes the reaction could be worse cause their heart to stop.
The extract known as CBD isolates is viewed as a safer but less potent variety; it is why it is the preferred extract when using it for pets.
Just like with humans, there are some side effects that your pets could experience if using CBD treats:
- Dry throat and mouth: it is advisable to keep your dogs hydrated after administering them with their CBD treats because they will get very thirsty, almost constantly. They will drink an entire bowl of water and will happily go for a second round. So be sure to leave out a lot of water for your dog to drink.
- Feeling drowsy or sleepy: another side effect, which can be experienced by people using CBD, is feeling sleepy. If you see your dog sleeping after administering them with CBD treat, it might be an indicator that you have given them too high a dose. The dog should seem calmer after taking CBD treats but could also cause them to be sleepy or drowsy.
- Lower the blood pressure: if you spot your dog feeling a little stable on their legs and bumping more onto objects around the house, it could be that it has lowered their blood pressure. A lowered blood pressure can cause issues with walking or navigating around obstructions.
- Itching: if you spot that your dog is itching a lot more than usual, then this could be a sign that the CBD product you are using has THC in it. The dosage level should be lowered if you notice this happening; however, if the issue persists after lowering the dosage, then stop altogether.
- Minor issues vomiting: another suggestion that THC could be present in the product you are using. If you notice the vomiting lasting for more than four hours, then prepare to take your dog to the vet to get checked.
If you start to notice that your dog is experiencing the side-effects listed above, then it is advisable to lower the dosage of CBD treat. If you suspect that the brand you have chosen has traces of THC and was not clearly disclosed by the brand, then you should stop using it and change the brand immediately.
When you begin using CBD treats, it is always good to action the following:
- Begin with lower doses and make gradual increases as he responds to the effects positively. Try not to give too much that it completely sedates the dog because you will run into one of the symptoms listed above.
- Talk to your vet because they will always have a better idea about doses or if it will be beneficial for your dog. You should do this, especially if your dog is under any prescribed medication. It is better to get professional advice rather than run into problems later in the experience.
What Is The Right Dosage of CBD for Your Dogs?
All dogs will need CBD for different reasons and will individually react to CBD differently. There isn’t a one dosage rule for dogs, again, much like their human counterparts.
The best way to figure it out is with a little trial and error. One difference to bear in mind between dogs in humans is that dogs will require lower amounts of cannabinoids to start working in their system.
There is one important factor to bear in mind, which is that THC can be dangerous to your dog. While humans enjoy the effects of THC in their system, it can actually negatively impact your dog, and sometimes it can even be fatal. However, using the right dosage amount can prevent these issues from occurring.
Some brands will provide helpful guidelines for dosages dependent on your dog’s weight, and please remember that these are just approximate guidelines.
Most brands will advise that CBD content is 0.1 to 0.2mg per pound to your pet’s weight. Therefore, let’s say your dog’s weight is about 25lbs, then using the measurement above, it would mean administering about 4.5 to 5 mg of CBD per dose.
If you are considering giving your dog CBD, it is best to consider why you are using it in the first place. Evaluating these reasons can truly help you understand what your dog needs to get out of taking CBD treats. Like the brands we have featured in this article, many have designed CBD Treats to treat specific ailments.
Fab CBD, which came top of the list, offers three varieties of CBD Treats, each with a specific purpose and flavor for your dog to enjoy. So, if your dog has anxiety issues, then their Calm and Cool range can really pacify those issues. Maybe your dog suffers from skin conditions, or their coat is looking unhealthy, then the Skin and Coat range can cover both bases.
As you can see, the Fab CBD brand ticks all the boxes, they understand the issues dogs suffer from, but they also strive to produce the best and high quality for your pet. It is also at an affordable price, but if you want to save money, then going for their bundle of three offers can really help you save a little.
However, it does not mean you should discount the other brands featured in this article. It is really down to what your dog needs; for example, Holistapets offers CBD Treat that helps with issues on joint and mobility. At the same time, Joy Organic uses nanoemulsion, which means that its products are absorbed faster into your dog’s system.
This article should help you, not just with the brands to look out for, but the factors to check when shopping for a brand. There are so many brands out there cashing in on the CBD popularity that you can easily fall for them without checking if they are tested by external labs or are sourced from farms based in the USA or Europe.
The list of factors should be checked and used to cross-reference if a brand is worth investing in. The list of side-effects discussed in this article should also be carefully studied, if your dog starts showing the signs outlined.
It is important to consult a vet before giving your pet CBD because they will advise you on whether it is something your dog could benefit from. It is especially important if they are on prescribed medication.
Once you have chosen your brand and consulted your vet, then you are good to go. Always stay vigilant during the first few days, so you better regulate the dog’s reaction to CBD and figure out the right dosage for them.