Recently, CBD has become a hot commodity not only for humans looking to relax but also for dogs. CBD can help your dog in the same way it potentially helps humans feel calm, enjoy relaxation, falls asleep, and decrease inflammation.
Let’s first begin by answering common queries about CBD Oil for dogs with anxiety. People often wonder if CBD oil can really benefit dogs with anxiety. The answer to that is that it definitely can. Whether your dog suffers from anxiety due to travel, loud noises, or having to go to the vet, CBD may help them feel more calm and relaxed.
Pet owners also worry if their dog may get high after taking CBD. THC is toxic for dogs which means they can not get high from using CBD oil as it barely contains THC. CBD is federally regulated to contain less than .3% of THC which is the psychoactive component of the hemp plant.
The main question dog owners have is where they can find the best CBD oils for dogs. We have compiled a list of five amazing brands to purchase CBD oil from to help ease your dog’s anxiety.
Top 5 CBD Oils For Dogs With Anxiety:
- Holistapet – Best Value, High-Quality & Editor’s Pick
- Pet Hemp Co – Best Organic CBD Oil for Dogs
- Nuleaf Naturals – Best for Big Dogs
- CBDistillery – Best for Small/Medium Dogs
- Joy Organics – Best CBD Oil For Anxious Dogs
How We Created Our List for CBD Oil for Dogs with Anxiety?
Here are the criteria we used in creating this list of CBD oil for dogs.
- Dosage Size: Many people wonder how much CBD you should give your anxiety-affected dog. It varies, thanks to every situation varying from pet to pet. Typically, it’s advised that you dose 1-5mg per 10lb of the dog, but you might wish to administer a dose in the center of the recommended amount and watch to verify they are calmed down. Ultimately, it’s going to be whatever your veterinarian recommends.
- Shipping/Return Policies: We wanted to make sure the brands had fair shipping/return rules.
- The Naturalness of the CBD Products: Chemicals are dangerous for humans and dogs alike to ingest. So, we made sure to choose products that were 100% natural.
- Lab Results/Tests: Good CBD companies will test their products for potency and purity. We looked at lab results/testing to ensure we were recommending only pure oils.
- Extraction Varieties: We reviewed the CBD oil to see if they were full-spectrum CBD Oil or broad-spectrum CBD oil.
These allowed us to create a list of companies with high favorability and good reputations among consumers.
Best CBD Oils for Dogs With Anxiety
#1. Holistapet – Best Value & High-Quality
Holistapet is a company based in the United States that is focused on offering quality holistic pet-care goods. Wellness experts are employed to create this exceptional CBD formula and they are blended to include nutrients, minerals, and vitamins your dog needs and wants.
An advisory board of veterinarians oversees the operation, and the products are tested regularly for potency and purity. The end result is a CBD oil you can confidently give your dog.
Holistapet’s website also has a small questionnaire you can fill out which helps you pick out the best CBD product for your particular pooch. You will also earn points when you spend money there, which you can turn into rewards.
Here are the features of their CBD oils:
Their CBD oil is made in America of 100% natural materials. The CBD oil is Non-GMO, has no dairy, gluten preservatives, or fake additives in it. It’s made just for pets because it contains nutrients your dog needs to feel their best.
You can purchase CBD oils in doses of 150mg, 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg and 3000mg.
This is a full-spectrum blend of CBD oil. This means your dog will enjoy a variety of cannabinoids and nutrients. It has a full-spectrum CBD with zero THC, which eliminates any psychoactive side effects.
Lab tests are prevalent and easy to find on this website. The results indicate all cannabinoids are included, zero pesticides or solvents are present in the blend, and that it is safe for your pet. We encourage you to have a look before you buy.
Shipping is to the USA only. Free shipping takes no more than 5 days to reach you under regular circumstances. You may also use Priority Mail. There is a 30-day money-back return policy for unopened and unused items.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Holistapet
#2. Pet Hemp Co – Best Organic CBD Oil For Dogs
Pet Hemp Company was started when their family dog named Woody developed a tumor. His medications didn’t work, but CBD oil helped Woody feel better and allowed him to enjoy his life until he passed.
Even after Woody left the family, they kept working on products all dog lovers could use to bring relief to their pets.
Here’s what you need to know about Pet Hemp Co:
The hemp used in crafting this product is derived from US-grown plants. It’s blended with superfood nutrients and has nothing fake in it. This means no preservatives or additives; also, it is Non-GMO. It’s a natural CBD oil your dog will love.
You can purchase bottles in sizes 150mg, 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg and 3000mg.
This is full-spectrum CBD oil, creating a more potent product. Plus, the CBD oil is also devoid of any THC which eliminates the risk of psychoactive side effects. Your dog will not experience any change in its mental state.
All of their oil batches are tested by a third party, and as the tests show, these oils are potent, safe, and free of any unsavory ingredients/additives.
The company ships to the US only but includes free standard shipping. Your order will reach you in 6 business days or less. Priority shipping may also be used, but there is an extra fee, and you will get your order in 3 business days or less.
You will enjoy a 30-day money-back guarantee for unopened and new products. The date for returns is based on the delivery date.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Pet Hemp Co
#3. Nuleaf Naturals – Best for Big Dogs
Since 2014, Nuleaf Naturals has been providing hemp to Americans and the world, for that matter. They are proud of the quality work they do and take pride in offering quality hemp goods that are full-spectrum CBD and priced fairly.
The hemp for these products comes from the sunny fields of Colorado, where hemp is legal and plentiful. The plants are cared for using natural methods, and the plants are Non-GMO. Plus, pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers are not used in the growing process.
These CBD oils have been made with pets’ best interests at heart. They are organic and contain zero additives, toxins, preservatives, or other unsavory ingredients.
NuLeaf doesn’t have as wide a dosage selection, but it is still satisfactory. You can choose between 240mg, 725mg, or 1450mg.
The CBD oils you purchase from NuLeaf Naturals are whole-plant and full-spectrum. Your pet will then have an easier time experiencing the “entourage effect” which is all cannabinoids working in tandem to provide a sense of relief.
By dosing your dog with a full-spectrum blend containing a wide variety of terpenes and cannabinoids, your pet will retain more of the benefits of CBD as compared to an isolate or broad-spectrum blend.
THC is present in these full-spectrum blends, but the level of this component is always at the federal limit of .3% or less. This means your dog gets all the benefits of CBD but none of the psychoactive side effects that come with THC.
Lab results indicate this is a potent and pure full-spectrum formula. You can view the results right on their website.
All orders are free shipping if you are a USA customer. For faster shipping, you can choose the Express option, which incurs an extra fee but gets your order to you in just 1-2 business days.
The site also ships to 40 countries internationally. Any unopened, unused products can be returned within 30 days for a 100% refund.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of NuLeaf Naturals
#4. CBDistillery – Best for Small/Medium Dogs
CBDistillery was founded in a hemp-friendly state- Colorado. Their mission is to grow hemp with integrity, create CBD products that are pure and safe, and do it all at prices that make sense for everyone. They have devoted much of their website to the education of consumers about hemp and CBD.
The hemp used in these CBD oils is sourced from Colorado. It is crafted just for pets, so it’s safe and beneficial to your canine. Hemp Seed oil is the main ingredient, which is good for dogs’ digestion.
The blend is also rich in cannabinoids that will work together to potentially give your dog maximum relief, thanks to the CO2 extraction method used in the production of CBD oil for dogs.
The CBDistillery oils for pets are sold in 600mg and 1500mg sizes.
The CO2 method is used to extract the oils, and the result is a pure, full-spectrum oil that is packed with terpenes and cannabinoids that provide the most benefits to your pet. THC is present, but because it is within the federally legal limit, your pet won’t experience any psychoactive side effects.
One practice the company prides itself on is transparency in testing, and all it takes is a scan of the QR code on the packaging to see a full report of your CBD oil’s purity.
Free shipping is given for orders $75 and up. There is a 60-day refund policy meaning you can get your money back on any unopened and unused products within 60 days of purchase. They also have efficient customer service. You can message them from the website or use any of their social media accounts for questions/concerns.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of CBDistillery
#5. Joy Organics – CBD Oil For Anxious Dogs
Another common question pet owners ask is, “What is the best way to give my dog their CBD?” Oils are one of the most convenient ways for animals to either eat them or have it be applied to their skin. It is very easy to mix into their food or water. Treats are also another easy-to-measure and delicious way for your dog to enjoy their CBD.
This family-owned company sells top-quality CBD goods and provides great customer service. Joy Organics is also a member of the US Hemp Authority, a professional organization devoted to best practices within the industry.
The hemp products found in these treats are grown in the United States. The manufacturing is carefully carried out, and the result is a premium oil that absorbs quickly. It is a pure product and contains no fake ingredients whatsoever. Plus, all THC is removed. The treats are beef-flavored, so most dogs will love these treats.
Joy Organics is limited on dosing sizes, with oils being sold in 225mg and 450mg sizes. Treats are sold in 60mg jars, averaging 2mg of CBD per chew.
The hemp is extracted using state-of-the-art methods, which results in products that are potent and high in quality. Their goods are broad-spectrum CBD and contain many terpenes that will benefit your dog. All THC is removed from the blend, making it a great choice for pet owners who do not want to use full-spectrum oils.
Every batch is third-party tested to ensure it is pure, potent, and free of THC as advertised to customers. Results are available right on their website.
Free shipping is granted to all orders in the US. So long as products are unused, and brand new, you may return them within 30 days for a full refund. The customer service is helpful and prompt if you have any concerns or questions about your order.
⇒ Visit the Official Website of Joy Organics
FAQs About Dog CBD & Anxiety
What Are Some Benefits Associated With CBD for Dogs?
We all know about the benefits of cannabis, but only recently did it become known that CBD is helpful for humans and animals alike.
Here are some of the ways CBD oil might help your dog out:
- May Help With Anxiety: Got a dog who is a rescue animal, is traumatized or diagnosed with PTSD, or simply nervous about the vet? CBD might help them calm down and relax, and it’s all-natural and you don’t need a prescription for it.
- Will Not Make Your Pet “High“- You may worry that with CBD products, your pet will experience a high. However, CBD is manufactured according to federal standards which dictate that there can be no more than 0.3% THC in the blend. This is such a small amount that your pet would have to consume a huge amount of CBD in order to get even a mild high.
- May Be Used With Other Medications: You should check with your veterinarian first before dosing CBD to ensure it does not interact with any medications they have prescribed for your dog. However, since CBD is natural, there is a good chance your vet will OK its use.
- Appetite: Dogs experiencing a lack of appetite may be able to get relief with CBD oil.
- Aggression: Dogs feeling aggressive may find it easier to “chill out” when they have taken CBD.
- Fireworks: If your dog is nervous about fireworks, you might dose them CBD to calm them down and help them relax during the celebration.
- Restlessness: If your dog is pacing back and forth and having a hard time relaxing, CBD may help.
- Separation Anxiety: You can help your dog relax when you go to work, school, or the store by dosing with CBD.
- Nausea: Got a dog who is sick from a car ride? Try CBD to help them relax and overcome their sickness.
- Seizures: If your dog suffers from seizures, CBD may help. Speak with your vet to see if CBD is right for your dog.
What Can CBD Oil Do for My Dog’s Health?
We briefly discussed what CBD may be helpful for, but let’s go more in-depth with it here.
Here are some ways your dog might benefit from the use of CBD:
- General Well-Being: The use of CBD brings cannabinoids to the ECS (endocannabinoid system) which helps the body be balanced by homeostasis. It helps dogs relax and get adequate sleep during the night, especially when thunderstorms or other inclement weather could keep them awake. It can help calm dogs that are hyperactive or nervous.
- Healthy Heart: CBD can help your dog enjoy a healthier heart. The endocannabinoid system plays a role in the regulation of blood pressure, and by keeping blood pressure balanced, you can minimize the risk of your dog experiencing a stroke, metabolic syndrome, or a heart attack.
- Nausea and Appetite: Got a dog that’s just not eating the correct amount of food? CBD might help them increase their appetite, mentioned by the National Cancer Institute.
There are huge concentrations of CB2 receptors located in dogs’ guts, and when the CBD works with this area of the endocannabinoid system, it could bring relief to a nauseated stomach and help your dog feel better.
- The Health of Skin: CBD may help your dog enjoy healthier skin. This can be done by consuming it orally or by applying it topically. Hemp is naturally rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids, which are great for your dog’s hair, nail, and skin health. CBD applied topically can also help moisturize a dog’s dry skin as well.
- Anxiety: Dogs are as smart as toddler-age children, so it’s important to care for their physical and mental well-being. Dogs are just as prone to symptoms of anxiety and depression as any other living creature, so helping them out naturally using CBD can help. Some medications designed to help dogs feel better such as benzodiazepines can lead to addiction and in some cases, poisoning. Meanwhile, CBD is natural and could be just what your dog needs to relax without you having to worry about them becoming addicted to a prescription.
- Overall Discomfort: CBD helps reduce inflammation, reduce aches and pains, and or relieve anxiety. These are discomforts that dogs may encounter, and as humans, we do too- they are not enjoyable. Like humans, dogs have an endocannabinoid system, and it plays a role in bodily functions such as sleep, pain, appetite, and how the immune system responds. CBD has a positive effect on endocannabinoid receptor activity, and as a result, could help your dog with any discomfort they may be feeling whether it is physical or mental.
Will CBD Mentally Affect My Dog? Is CBD Safe for My Dog?
Cannabidiol, abbreviated as CBD, was first uncovered in 1940 and comes from cannabis Sativa, or the marijuana plant. There are two major parts of this plant that can positively affect the wellness of the person using it: CBD and THC.
Many people associate marijuana with “getting high”, but this is caused by Delta-9 THC present in the plant. It is the main psychoactive ingredient of cannabis and causes concerns among those not in the know about the difference between CBD and THC.
The good news is this- CBD can easily be separated from the rest of the plant to create a non-psychoactive oil that still has the benefits of cannabis Sativa. It is a good way to feel relief minus the mental-state-altering side effects.
Some dogs may be sensitive to CBD as some humans are. However, cases like this usually only occur if they are sensitive to medications and medicines, even over-the-counter options. It’s best to talk with your vet first about your dog’s health history to ensure their safety when using CBD.
Once you have got the OK from your veterinarian, you may give her dog the recommended dosage, and monitor them carefully. Make sure the CBD you purchase is pure and potent by viewing the third-party test results before you buy. And never feel afraid to ask questions about the product- any company worth your business will be happy to answer your questions about their product.
Are There Any Specific Side Effects on Dogs?
Thankfully, no unusual side effects have been reported. However, do be aware of these side effects so you know what to expect if using CBD for your dog.
Sleepiness: Some pet owners use CBD to help their pets feel relief from restlessness or anxiety. If your pet lies down to take a nap at an unusual time, it’s likely they are just getting accustomed to their dose. This will likely decrease as the dog gets used to the CBD.
Reduced Blood Pressure: Your dog may experience lowered blood pressure as a temporary side effect of CBD. This is rare, and if it does happen, it doesn’t last long, especially after your pet gets used to the CBD.
Dry Mouth: In some cases, CBD causes a dry mouth. Due to this, be sure to have a bowl of water ready for your dog if they get thirsty.
What’s the Correct Dosing Amount for My Dog?
On the topic of how much CBD oil to dose your dog with, there are a few things to think about first. Every brand’s recommendation for dosing will vary because of the concentration of the oil within that brand’s bottle.
Plus, the right dosage may vary based on the condition you are trying to treat. Your dog’s weight and other underlying health issues are also a factor. Plus, there is no single “correct” dose to give to your dog. The best thing to do is start small and move up, finding the right dose that helps your dog calm down, rest, reduce pain, etc. Most companies will offer guidelines for dosing, so read their websites/packaging carefully.
Calculating the Right Dose For Your Canine
Here are the steps you can take to get an idea of how much CBD oil is necessary to treat your dog for their ailments.
First, begin by taking your dog’s weight. This will help you figure out how much CBD they need in terms of milligrams. This is usually calculated at a rate of .2 to .25 per lb.
Next figure out how much oil you will need to give your dog based on the mg of CBD there is in each milliliter of oil. This is going to vary based on the CBD’s strength, and most manufacturers will include this in their inserts or packaging.
It’s important to remember why you are giving your dog CBD in the first place. If your dog is taking it for general wellness, they likely won’t need as much as a dog using it for something like pain relief or anxiety.
Most importantly, we cannot stress enough the need to talk to a veterinarian first before dosing any remedy, including CBD. This will help ensure the safety of your dog as well as their comfort.
How to Give CBD Oil to My Dog?
Here are a few ways to get your dog their CBD:
Dropper: You can drop the oil right into your dog’s mouth using the included dropper.
Mixing with Food: CBD can easily be mixed into wet food or dry food. Just add it to the food and mix, allowing it to soak in if using dry food. You can also mix it into a small serving of peanut butter for your dog to enjoy.
Water: For some dogs, you might add it to their water (although they may notice it since the two do not mix).
What Makes A Quality CBD Oil?
Here are the traits to look for in a CBD oil for your dog:
Liquid or Treat? – Treats are great, but the oil helps you be a bit more precise with the dosage. If your dog can handle it, try to use oil.
Lab Tests: Any good brand will be happy to provide test results for their CBD products, whether it’s posted on their website or a scannable QR code. If you don’t see these on the CBD oil you’ve picked, choose a different brand.
Cheapest Isn’t Always Best: Cheaper brands might contain harmful additives or chemicals, pesticides, or herbicides. Even if it means paying more, go with a brand that is pure through and through to keep your dog safe.
Organic: Organic CBD oils do not contain herbicides, solvents, or pesticides.